Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Windows Phone 8 Launched And I Find Myself Very Ho Hum


windowsphone8phones

Microsoft launched Windows Phone 8 today with a big event in San Francisco. I was hoping for some cool interesting hidden fanfare and after watching the broadcast found it very repetitive and on the face of it, to the public at least, nothing more than a point upgrade. Ok there is probably plenty under the hood but lets face it as nice as it is in some respects the only way Microsoft is going to this thing rolling is the strategy it's trying to employ,and thats put the phone interface it's Windows PC and new tablets and hope people get to like it and choose the phone option. Don't get me wrong, I love tech and was hoping for. I'm reading that people like the UI and the features like Kids Corner (being able to hand your phone to someone and only a few apps are available), more oomph in the OS and IE, Hub Rooms ala Google plus, and a small but decent selection of apps are winners. YEs there is 120,000 apps but if the quality is anything like the apps on Windows 8 they seem like toys to me. Lack in depth and are overly simplistic. Wheres the power?
Time will tell, but Microsoft has not managed to gain the mindshare required of the public but maybe with Windows 8 and a new large selections of Windows Phone 8 handsets they will finally get some traction. It still doesn't grab me but I'm sure it will many others

.

No comments: