Friday, April 13, 2012

Why Android Tablets suck for average Joes.

I just went to a a friends place who bought an Acer Tablet about 4 months ago. I do all her IT work. She has 3 PC's in the house ranging from XP, Vista and Windows 7 based systems. She's just bought a macbook air as well. She's not that great with technology but does ok for an average person. She cam edit her movies and get them transferred to DVD for her family and other tasks. Now to the point of why Android tablets tend to suck for the average Joe. You and I are probably pretty tech savvy. We probably know our way around most systems and find most things second nature. I myself find that if I haven't used a program or some new system, that I can figure it out pretty quickly and get things up and running in a very short space of time. So this Acer 500 tablet she's been struggling with it for months. Half the time she has no idea how she gets stuff on or off it. In some ways it is more confusing than the PC's she says she uses. It's just not familiar for her and therefore anti intuitive. I am not that versed in Tablets from Acer though I have used Android on a lot of phones, I have fixed PC's for a living and am very up on Mac's and IOS devices. So she calls me up and asks me to figure out how to put a few video clips onto her Acer "iPad" as she calls it, from her new Mac. After stuffing about for half an hour I thought I better go and google some info on this device. I managed to install a file browser, Astro, to be precise and see the contents of the Tablet but it just wasn't showing up on the Mac at all as a device. After my search I discovered that if I was trying to connect to a Windows system with this Tablet I'd need to install a specific USB driver before Windows would be able to see it a s a USB device On a Mac I had to install a little program called AndroidFileTransfer before it would show up. Then and only then would it be visible and work. So tablets are suppose to be for brain dead newbies who are completely computer illiterate. I have never bought any USB device that I needed to install a driver or program before it would show up and work. Thats just counter intuitive for these people. At least the iPad comes with iTunes which is preinstalled and just works nicely.
Manufacterers are going to have to get the idea that Tablets need to be more like a toaster than PC if you are going to get the average numb nut to use them and have a pleasant experience. Apple has done a great job of doing this with the iPad. Ok maybe your a tech head and want all this crazy stuff in a tablet and thats fine and I am not debating that or coming at it from our angle but as I said, the average Joe finds this is very unfamiliar. I mean try dragging a file into somewhere with Astrofile browser on a tablet It is so clunky its not funny. Anyway rant over. I feel better now. I just wish people would stick to iPads when they are not the tech savvy.

No comments: